Wednesday, February 10, 2010

Does this mean I can buy water bottles again?

I hate bottled water. I hate how expensive it is. I hate the fact that most of it is over hyped, imported tap water. I also hate that water bottles are made of plastic; plastic comes from oil, and fossil fuels are ruining our climate. Adding insult to injury, many of these perfectly recyclable are chucked in the trash can, destined to end up rotting in a land fill. However, today for the first time in a year and a half, I bought a bottle of water.
Dasani's new PlantBottle, which I purchased today, is composed of 30% plant-based material and remains completely recyclable. Being a cynical, tree-hugging, Greenpeace member I excitedly researched Dasanis new bottle, hoping to find a major loophole, continuing my detest for bottled water.
However, Dasani may have it figured out. The new Platbottles replace up to 30% of previously used petroleum, with molasses resin from sugar cane production. The sugarcane comes from farms in Brazil, were Dasani's website claims they use recycled water, organic fertilizers, and have agreed to end the burning of all fields by 2017. Desani's claims that research done by the Institute for Energy and Environmental Research (Heidelberg, Germany) is initially showing a lower carbon foot print by producing the new water bottles.
So can sugarcane save the water bottle? Possibly. Using 30% "green" material is more of a nice idea than a complete solution. Until someone figures out how to create a water bottle that is composed of a majority of non-petroleum products while remaining recyclable, I will stick to my Sigg water bottle.
http://www.thecoca-colacompany.com/citizenship/plantbottle_2.html

No comments:

Post a Comment